Central Botanical Laboratory
The Central Botanical Laboratory was established on 13 April 1954 to conduct research in various disciplines of botany. It has three major sections: the Cytology Section, the Economic Botany Section and the Plant Physiology Section.
A chromosomal survey of the Indian flora is a major programme of the Cytology Section. The Economic Botany Section is engaged in studying and evaluating less known economic or medicinal plants and plants being used by tribals (ethnobotany). Studies on the dormancy, viability and germination behaviour of seeds of economically important plants and rare and endangered plants are being carried out at the Physiology Section.
- Established - 13th April, 1954 at Indian Museum, Kolkata; thereafter temporarily shifted to Allahabad and finally to Kolkata in 1962.
- Accessioned specimens
- Herbarium specimens: 6000
- Museum exhibits: 5500
- Main programmes
- Chromosome Atlas
- Biosystematic studies
- Seed storage, viability and germination
- Contact Details - Scientist-in-Charge, BSI,Central Botanical Laboratory,P. O. Botanic Garden, Howrah – 711 103 ,Phone: +91 33 2668 5771
Last Updated :